I am not a new movie person. I love movies – but just the ones I’ve already seen. I end up watching the same movies over and over again, and I really get annoying when I start fast-forwarding to my favorite parts. In honor of the weekend and hopefully many hours snuggled up in pjs in front of the TV, here are my favorite movies. Enjoy, and don’t fast forward them.
- The Trouble with Angels – Particularly hilarious if you went to Catholic school, but still funny regardless. Hayley Mills stars as a pupil at a Catholic boarding school, where she’s constantly causing trouble for poor, stern Mother Superior (the first day, she introduces herself as Kim Novak. I didn’t know who that was when I first saw the movie).
- The Sword in the Stone – Yes, the old animated Disney movie. I challenge you not to laugh when Merlin gets his beard caught in everything. This is a movie to watch when you need a pick-me-up.
- Sense & Sensibility – I fell in love with all period-piece movies after seeing this. And also Emma Thompson. Three poor 1820s-in-England sisters: one sensible, one with romantic dreams and one who wants to be a pirate. Bonus: Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, and especially Alan Rickman as the moody and forlorn romantic. God, his voice alone.
- Father Goose – A classic Cary Grant movie where Cary is NOT playing the gallant gentleman for a change. Instead, he’s a lazy drunk tricked into living on an island for the Royal Navy during WWII.
- It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World – A rat-race style movie containing pretty much every famous movie star of the 1960s. Spencer Tracy, Ethel Merman, Buddy Haskell… It’s a long one, but totally worth it. Watch for the banana at the end – and several famous cameos (Three Stooges, anyone?).
- And finally my most favorite movie of ALL time: Gone with the Wind. Amazing, beautiful, emotional and yes, three hours long. But it’s WORTH IT. Vivien Leigh is Scarlett O’Hara in every single sense. I want to make myself a dress out of curtains and declare “Tomorrow is another day!” in my best Southern accent. There is a reason why this is often referred to as the best movie ever. Because it is.
What are your favorite movies?